Your plumbing system is an essential part of your home, and your hot water system has a special role in adding comfort to your living quality. Just imagine taking a cold shower in the middle of the night! But just like every other appliance, your water heater will not last forever. If you are thinking of installing a new hot water system, it is important that you understand the different types that are available. There are four main types of water heaters: electric, gas, solar, and heat pump. In addition to these, water heaters also differ in supply methods: instantaneous and storage.
How do the different supply methods work?
- Instantaneous: Instantaneous water heater does not store hot water. Instead, it continuously heats water for as long as it is needed. However, installation and running cost can be quite high.
- Storage: storage water heaters are cheaper and easier to install compared to instantaneous. It uses a lot of energy to maintain the temperature of the already heated up water. Storage is also limited, so you could run out of hot water and it will take some time to refill the storage tank.
What about their power source?
- Electric: Electric hot water systems are the perfect choice for homes that only use a moderate amount of hot water. The recovery time for this water heater to heat up more water is not so great. As a result, if you are the last person stepping into the shower, you may not have access to hot water. The initial cost for installing an electric water heater is the cheapest, but it becomes the most expensive in the long run.
- Gas: A gas water heater is one of the most favourable options for saving the environment because it produces less greenhouse gas. However, going with this option is only possible if your home is connected to a gas main. In addition to this, there are some safety concerns regarding fire hazards.
- Solar: If you choose to use a solar water heater, you will potentially reduce energy consumption by 90%. You are saving the environment, and your electricity bills will not be as high. On the downside, it is the most expensive to install. Moreover, its performance will be affected by the weather.
- Heat pump: This form of water heater is most effective in areas with warm climates. It makes use of the heat from its surroundings to heat the water.
Reach out to your local plumbers in East Melbourne to have an inspection of your hot water system.